Become a web usability tester
Thanks for your interest in becoming a usability tester. We've put together a few details and answered some questions you may have. If we haven't answered something you need to know please email us here and we'll get back to you with the answers you need.
About User Intelligence
What does User Intelligence do?
We help solve a ongoing problem all online marketers, website owners, and designers have - how do they get through the clutter of analytics and data to see what people really think about their website, web application or landing page? We answer the questions of what works and what doesn't by getting everyday people like you to visit sites, record and narrate your visits and provide answers to simple questions about your experience.
Where are you based?
We are based in Sydney, Australia, however we also have a UK operation currently being developed. In any case - the service we provide is global and takes advantage of technology to bring users and digital marketers together.
What's involved in doing a usability test?
Each usability test consists of two components;
- You record a video screencast of your visit to the clients web asset (a complete website, web application, or landing page) and narrate your thoughts and impressions as you navigate through it and complete a series of tasks. Here's a video sample. Don't worry you don't need to download any software to do this. We provide a link to access the test site.
- You answer a number of simple survey questions online and provide suggestions as to how the site can be improved. Here's a written sample.
What do I need to perform a test?
You simply need;
- A DSL or higher speed broadband internet connection
- A fully operable PC or Mac
- A fully operational USB or plug-in microphone
- A valid email address (we recommend you use something other than your main email address to maintain your privacy
- A valid PayPal account for payments made to you by us
Do I need any special software to do this?
No not at all! If you're selected to perform a usability test you'll be instructed to go to a web page containing a Java Applet that allows you to start and stop recording your voice and screen.
How do I record my voice?
For your test to be acceptable to the client we do ask that you use a headset or desktop mic to record your voice through the application. Although many laptops will have an inbuilt mic, without a headset the client may not be able to hear your recording accurately. You don't need anything special...we're not recording an album...but we do need the client to be able to hear your opinion.
How long does a test usually take?
The depth of tests do vary however they generally take between 15 - 45 minutes to complete the test and record it in our system.
How many tests do I get to do?
We email our user testing panel based on several factors inlcuding their demographic match to the client, feedback from previous clients, and on how many times you may have missed out on testing opportunities. This means that you may get to do several tests in a week or perhaps none at all.
This is not an opportunity to provide a full-time income or even a part-time one. However it is an opportunity to work from wherever you are earning money for simply providing your opinion. Hey, you also get to improve the web, one site at a time!
How do I get notified of an available test?
When a test becomes available we email the subset of our testing panel that meet the demographic criteria of the client. Only those user testers that respond in time will be given further information to proceed with the test.
We do try to rotate the testers we use to ensure appropriate sampling for clients and to help maximise your opportunity to get testing opportunities.
What personal information do I provide?
During your signup process we ask for a range of demographic information to match user tersters with relevant website and application test opportunities. We ask for general information such as gender, country of residence and work type, and not all questions require an answer. We also ask a few questions relating to your internet usage...pretty obvious huh?
Just a quick note: on occasion some usability tests may ask you to register or sign up for an account just as a regular user would.
How much do I get paid?
We pay you a minimum of $15 AUD for each user test. We pay a further bonus of $5 for some tests that have special requirements such as needing to be done within an express timeframe. You will be informed of special bonuses prior.
When and how am I paid?
At the conclusion of your test you are asked to login and record the time and date the test was completed. We pay you within 24 hours of successfully completing a user test. All payments are made via paypal.
Tests are deemed succesful upon acceptance from the client. See a sample video of a good website usability test.
What do we look for in our user testers?
Although this is a straightforward process not everyone makes a good user tester. This is what we need from you to ensure your usabilty tests are acceptable;
- Promplty reply to your email notifications and accept tests to ensure you get the opportunity.
- Follow the instructions provided and complete the required tasks during your website visit.
- Clearly communicate your thoughts, impressions and reactions to the website - thinking about the visual style, the content, navigation and overall organisation of the information. Clients need to see you navigate their website, app or page thoughtfully and provide constructive feedback.
- Write precise and clear answers to the survey questions provided in the usability test.
How do I apply?
Every applicant must complete a sample usability test prior to becoming part of our ongoing user testing panel. Simply sign up and we will allocate your first usability test for you to complete. This will include a narrated video and written survey so that we can evaluate your suitability.
After acceptance you will be able to take part in full paying website user tests.
Great sign me up!
We're really happy you'd like to be involved, and what a great way to earn some additional income right? Sign up only takes a few minutes. Get started.